Injecting Green Gas
Injecting Gas Into Our Network
We are committed to playing our part in helping the UK get to Net Zero. Independent research shows that we can decarbonise home heating, power and transport cheaper and with less disruption to local communities if we convert our existing safe and reliable gas network to run on green gas.
We want to encourage the entry of renewable gas like biomethane into our network and welcome enquiries from developers who are considering building anaerobic digestion plants or other facilities. We are also open to enquiries from developers of other non-conventional sources of gas like hydrogen.
If you would like an initial discussion in particular to understand in general terms how we can work together please get in touch.
Connecting your gas to our network
Initial Enquiry: You will need to complete our initial enquiry form providing the following key information:
- Site location plan
- Postcode and coordinates
- Estimated flow rate – standard cubic meters per hour (scm/h) for injection into the gas network
We will then perform a high level network analysis based on modelled data to assess where the nearest suitable connection point is on our network and whether the estimated flow rate can be injected.
This takes 15 working days to complete. There is no charge for this activity, and the enquiry response letter is valid for 90 calendar days.
Capacity Study: We will issue a capacity study agreement with the initial enquiry response. If you want to proceed with the application, you should sign the agreement and return it to us. An invoice will be sent following receipt of the signed agreement.
Once we have received payment (currently £854 +VAT) the study will be completed and issued within 30 working days.
The study uses actual flow data from our sites in the area, and by using this information we will give you:
- Confirmation of network capacity
- Seasonal and daily demand profiles at the connection point.
The study is valid for 180 calendar days from date of issue.
Capacity Booking: We will attach a capacity booking letter to the capacity study. If you want to continue with the application, you should sign and return this to us, along with a £15,000 refundable deposit.
Once we are in receipt of this letter and deposit, we will guarantee the offered capacity in our network. Your requested injection rate will be taken into account for all subsequent applications in the same part of the network.
However, you will be expected to provide evidence of site progression within 180 calendar days otherwise the capacity booking may be cancelled.
If this evidence is not provided you will be asked to complete a Milestone document and, once approved, we will offer you a Capacity Booking Continuation where we will keep your capacity booked, provided the milestones are achieved by the stated dates.
Get in touch
If you've got any questions or queries about your proposed green gas connection, contact one of our team.
Entry & Exit Compliance Manager
Tel: 02920 278552
Find out more (Opens accordion panel)
- Your Energy, Our network - Using our gas network for your biomethane gas Download, PDF file, size 1.1MB (Opens in a new window)
- Our Distributed Gas Information Strategy Download, PDF file, size 60.4KB (Opens in a new window)
- Biomethane Connection Application Download, XLSX file, size 50.8KB (Opens in a new window)
- Network Entry Agreement - Example Download, PDF file, size 384.6KB (Opens in a new window)
- Ofgem Biomethane Factsheet Download, PDF file, size 158.4KB (Opens in a new window)
- Wales & West Utilities Connection Charging Methodology Download, PDF file, size 1002.5KB (Opens in a new window)