Posted on: 16/02/2020
The Met Office has issued a Red Weather Warning for the south Wales valleys area for Sunday morning (16 February)
The gas network is reliable and resilient even in the worst weather. But if your home is at serious risk from floodwater, here’s what you need to know about your energy supply.
- If it is safe to do so, turn your gas and electricity supplies off. For gas, turn the handle on your gas meter 90 degrees and turn off your electricity supply via your isolator switch or fuse unit.
- Keep an eye on Natural Resources Wales website for the latest information.
- If you are evacuated, listen to advice from the emergency services. You will be taken to a centre run by your local council. Free food and bedding is provided but you will need spare clothing, essential medication and baby care items if you have an infant.
- Do not touch any electrical appliances, cables or equipment while stood in flood water or any which have been immersed in flood water. Do not use water damaged gas appliances before they have been checked by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer.
- If you smell gas at any time, call us immediately on 0800 111 999. We have 4x4s and other vehicles on hand to get to you in an emergency. If you have problems with your electricity, call 105.