We are currently experiencing issues with our online payment portal. If you are having difficulties using the portal, please contact our team on 02920 278991 to make a payment over the phone. 

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the issue as soon as possible. 

Close alert panel

Amelia Martin from Denbigh and Wales & West Utilities' Mark Morris

A Denbigh youngster has scooped a top prize in a national gas safety competition for her eye-catching poster which warns of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and the signs to look out for.

Amelia Martin, age 8, attends Frongoch Junior School and won the Key Stage 2 Wales entry of the ‘Get Creative, Be Safe’ competition picking up a prize of £150 for herself and £300 for her school.

The ‘Get Creative, Be Safe’ competition is run nationally by industry body, Energy Networks Association, and is supported locally by gas emergency and pipeline service Wales & West Utilities. Each year it invites school-age children to produce something creative to warn of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Amelia caught the judge’s eyes with her eye-catching poster, which warns of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and the signs to look out for.

Amelia was thrilled to win and said:

I really enjoyed coming up with creative ideas that will help other people recognise the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Taking part in this competition was really fun.

We learned about gas safety in school, so the competition helped us check everything we leant. I couldn’t believe it when I found out I had won – it was an amazing feeling!

Mrs Sivill, teacher at Frongoch Junior School, said:

All the children enjoyed learning about the dangers of carbon monoxide and the signs to look out for. Amelia’s poster was very informative and really did capture everyone’s attention.

Wales & West Utilities Head of Emergency Service, Clive Book, said:

Amelia’s entry was fantastic and captured the attention of all judges. Her design encapsulates all the signs and dangers of carbon monoxide poising and she has done a fantastic job in bringing to life a very serious issue.

The competition was a huge success this year and we hope that everyone taking part has been able to help spread the vital gas safety messages to their friends and loved ones.

Known as the silent killer because you can’t see it, smell it or taste it, accidental – and therefore preventable - CO poisoning is responsible for around 40 deaths, 200 hospitalisations each year. In the UK, there are more than 4,000 visits to Accident and & Emergency for treatment of CO poisoning – which can often lead to lasting neurological damage.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include severe headaches, a sore throat, dizziness, coughing, feeling sick, and a general lack of energy.

If you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide, you should open all windows to ventilate, evacuate the property and call 0800 111 999, the national gas emergency number.  

Find out more about the Get Creative, Be Safe, competition here.